So if we have learned one thing since Dyn started, it is this: change is the constant.
We are a cloud-based Internet performance company that started before anyone thought of “cloud” as something other than what gathered in the sky before a storm. We were providing access services for online infrastructure before the cloud was called a cloud.
Now, we are the leading Internet Performance provider to the most visited web properties in the world. We are a company with global awareness, relevance and reach.
But we’re not about resting on any laurels around here. I have a framed pen-and-ink drawing of a of a lion and a gazelle that I have kept on my desk since we moved into our new headquarters. The inscription reads:
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed… Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn’t matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle…When the sun comes up, you’d better be running.
We don’t slow down around here. We are adept at changing course on the fly.
And the sun is always up somewhere.
We have proven ourselves, at Dyn, to be well-positioned not only to adapt to change — but to embrace it, take advantage of it, and to optimize it for our customers.
Our customers know that about us. They value us for that nimbleness and flexibility. We are constantly — and I mean constantly — working on the next-generation systems to help our customers optimize the Internet for their businesses.
We’re in a new period of transition — to build a real-time view of the Internet and combine that intelligence with real-time traffic decisions — and with that transition comes an exciting new set of opportunities.
And with more choice than ever available in the marketplace, our customer base continues to grow. Companies are continuing to find us a more and more relevant partner in their work, and we have become top-of-mind around the globe for Internet Performance.
People count on us. We count on change. And we are moving forward with agility, ingenuity and urgency.
Here are some highlights from 2014, and thoughts for the year ahead:
- Renesys acquisition. The acquisition of Renesys earlier this year has provided us a whole new platform on which to continue to innovate. Renesys is the authority on Internet intelligence. This acquisition enabled us to launch a new intelligence product line that gives customers the insights they need to make instant, intelligent decisions to improve the performance of their Internet-enabled applications. We have also begun integrating Renesys’s globally unique Internet performance and geographic intelligence into our Traffic Management and Message Management platforms to enable customers to deliver a consistent and superior web and email experience to their end users.
- Next Generation System — email. We have focused this year on building a next-generation system for email delivery products. We’re looking at orders-of-magnitude greater scalability, stability, speed, and consistency. We’re transitioning many of the components that we use for service delivery to this next-generation system now.
- Following the sun. We’re now truly 24×7 with people working in time zones around the world. The Internet is 24×7 and so are we. Our client services and network operations team are constantly available. Next year, our engineering team will be expanding their hours as well.
As we look ahead to 2015, I see a number of important areas of focus:
- Customer centricity. We have a great staff and great customers and great tools, and we are focusing on the best possible ways to connect all three — to make sure that our customers can build relationships with exactly the right folks here who deliver the tools and services that they rely on.
- Employee engagement and development. The skills that people practice here continue to change, and what we need from our employees continues to change. But, as I said at the outset: we do change really well. We will continue to hire for the workforce we need, and train the wonderful workforce we have.
- Real-time, end-user Internet view. Our customers need to know the experience that their customers have — and they need to know in real time. We are focusing on providing that detailed level of understanding to give our customers the capability to best respond to their customers’ needs.
Bottom line: we will keep innovating, and keep providing our customers around the world with the very best Internet Performance products.
When change comes, we’re always ready. When the sun comes up — anywhere — we’re running. Our customers expect no less from us.
Happy New Year, everyone.