The Internet – and the cloud – have allowed companies to operate, scale and thrive in unique and innovative ways. Well-leveraged Internet resources allow companies to lower the barriers to entry into the cloud, connect with customers around the world, offer information and services to any device and in an on-demand, low-cost manner and dramatically lower the time to market. Understanding and fully-utilizing the cloud is at the core of any Internet-first strategy. According to IDG, 87 percent of companies worldwide either currently use cloud services or plan to implement cloud technology in the near future.
But few companies have true insight or control over assets that live in and depend on the Internet and Cloud. The advent of Internet Performance Management (IPM) solutions will provide IT execs with the clarity, data and steering capabilities they need to make the Internet – and the cloud – into a competitive advantage.
What is Internet Performance Management?
There are Network Performance Management (NPM) products and solutions that help provide metrics and controls over a company’s internal IT assets and Application Performance Management (APM) products that manage the application stack, servers and databases that companies rely on. Internet Performance Management (IPM) uniquely addresses how the Internet and cloud services and SAAS services are affecting your online and Internet facing assets and is the proactive approach that organizations can take to gain the visibility, control and resilience they need to harness the Internet. IPM solutions supply dynamic, actionable data to fuel performance-based business decisions that can dramatically improve the customer experience.
Every second counts in this digital economy. The ability to quickly identify – and more importantly – act on an issue that is causing delays will save precious seconds, leading to serious business impact (more revenue, more eyeballs, more engagement).
What does IPM help companies solve?
The move to the cloud can be at once liberating and daunting. The cloud offers ease of scaling, significant cost advantages and the ability to leverage built in packages, Platforms, APIs, SAAS applications to rapidly build business impacting applications. However, there is inherent complexity in making the move. The average Website today uses many technologies and hybrid cloud configurations which marry internal assets with those that live in the cloud can make monitoring and optimizing performance metrics challenging.
How do IT execs make the right choices as they continue to migrate assets to the cloud? How can they accurately measure and assess their options?
IPM solutions tackle several serious challenges for any company with global cloud resources and global customers or partners.
- Little visibility in seeing what is happening across a company’s Internet infrastructure and no tools to help mitigate issues that may arise
- No way to hold businesses accountable to ensure performance and cost SLAs are met or that performance is not adversely impacting end-user experiences
- Difficult to fully optimize resource utilization causing companies to either overpay for their cloud services or inefficiently deploy them
- Insufficient resilience and security that could lead to critical infrastructure failures or DDoS attacks
How does Dyn’s platform for IPM help solve these challenges?
Having visibility and control into a company’s Internet infrastructure, be it cloud-native or a variation of a hybrid cloud, is absolutely critical to modern businesses – especially for large, global Enterprises. Dyn’s platform for IPM Platform offers IT professionals unparalleled transparency across the Internet, as well as traffic management tools that allow them to reroute their Internet-based assets as necessary, optimizing costs and improving response time and availability. This includes Network Providers, Cloud Providers, CDNs and SAAS Providers.
The integrated platform is built on three core components:
- an unmatched set of Internet performance and availability data
- matched with industry-leading actionable analytics
- highly stable, reliable, and scalable traffic management and traffic steering that makes over 20 billion traffic steering decisions per day.
IPM Use Cases
The IPM solution we provide at Dyn is an evolution that has been years in the making; our products work together to provide our customers with a full IPM solution. Following are examples of how IPM helps companies get greater insight and control into their Internet infrastructures:
- CNBC uses IPM to steer end users to locations best able to deliver high performance online experiences. In this case, IPM helped lower page load times by more than 30% and reduce CDN costs by more than 80% by optimizing assets based on cost, performance, and load.
- Dyn enabled Pfizer to securely migrate away from their hardware-based solution and to the cloud. This gives them the ability to integrate acquisitions quickly, the agility to scale infrastructure as-needed, and improved protection against security threats.
- Etsy uses Dyn IPM platform to give them unprecedented control and clarity into their Internet infrastructure. Etsy utilizes monitoring and steering features to balance traffic across three CDNs when the performance from any provider drops below specified performance thresholds and to control cost – giving them a huge competitive advantage in a crowded eRetail space.