As we continue to carve up and analyze the unique-to-Dyn data for new innovation, growth and thought leadership, we like the trends we see in front of us. When it comes to our DynECT Email Delivery product, we work with nearly 300 enterprise customers that are contracted to send over 1.2 billion emails each month.
The bigger the sender, the bigger their growth seems to be. It’s a evolving and exciting space with highlighted customers including Box, Seeking Alpha, ReverbNation, Flipkart, New Relic, Spiceworks, WeTransfer and SkillPages. Our ability to analyze sending best practices, vertical market penetration, new market opportunity and the competitive landscape becomes crystallized as we scale. Here’s some insight on the volume of what they’re sending and what else they do.
Our Customer Base
- The median volume for our email customers is 250,000 messages a month with a focus on transactional or automated email sending.
- We work with 32 customers that send over 10 million emails a month, and five customers that send over 100 million emails a month.
- Over 35% of our email delivery customers are international with Canada and the UK particularly standing out.
- 38% of our email delivery customers also outsource their DNS to us, while 19% of our email customers also outsource to other major DNS providers. The ability to sign SPF, DKIM and DMARC via DNS management intertwines these two core Internet protocols very nicely.
In general, our email customers are also pretty diverse, and we play in a lot of different verticals.
Inside The Statistics
We wanted to dive a little deeper into the aforementioned 1.2 billion emails to give you more insight.
- The average open rate is about 13.5%.
- We classify every opened email as seen (under eight seconds of interaction), skimmed (8-20 seconds of interaction) or read (20+ seconds of interaction).
- Of all our opened email, 38% of emails are seen, 25% are skimmed and 37% fully read.
- Our average click-through rate is nearly 27% (in all of the emails we have sent, someone clicked a link in 27%).
The graph below shows the hourly trend of emails sent through DynECT. Note that the peak is around 14 hrs GMT (9AM ET):
As you can see, there is an amazing amount of ongoing research we’re doing to better understand our customers, the market, the competitive landscape and email delivery best practices as a whole. As we acquire more customers and send more email, this data will become more and more powerful as we innovate into the future.
As the Most Reputable Sender in the world says, keep sending, my friends.