In sales, the term ‘ROI’ is as familiar as discussing commissions or picking up the check at a client dinner. When it comes down to it, ultimately what any executive wants, any homebuyer wants and any sports fan wants is a return on their investment, regardless of whether that investment is time, money or something else of value.
Luckily, the business that we’re in — powering Managed DNS & Email Delivery — has very distinct ways of reporting ROI. Last October, we took a look at how much of a financial impact that downtime had on the Internet Retailer 500 in 2010.
In case you didn’t check it out, I’ll summarize: over $329 million lost…and it all could have been prevented.
Having led the Dyn enterprise sales charge for years, I wanted to reach into my bag of tricks and give you five reasons why uptime is a necessity in today’s Internet marketplace (if that $329 million wasn’t enough of a reason for you, that is).
FACT: Most of the world’s top sites (Amazon, Google, etc) will show a TTFB (time to first byte) of less than 100m/s. DNS is a critical component of that process.
- Google says a 500ms delay causes a 20% decrease in traffic. Even as the No. 1 search engine leader, they still care about this stuff.
- Google has added page speed into their algorithms to help determine page ranks for terms being searched.
- Amazon says a 100ms delay causes a 1% loss in overall revenue. In Q2 of 2012, they did $12.8 billion in sales. 1% may not seem like a lot, but when it’s $128 million, you take notice.
- 57% of people surveyed expect bank websites to load in two seconds or less. This goes for all industries with an end-user audience.
- Yahoo says a 400ms delay causes a 5-9% decrease in traffic. As their company continues to rebuild and revamp themselves, that’s a killer in the process.
FACT: The impact of poor latency: lost conversion, decreased brand credibility, fewer page views and lowered customer satisfaction.
How Dyn Helps
We help our clients and partners decrease DNS resolution latency to sub 25ms worldwide, helping increase conversions & customer advocacy. We also help our clients ensure the reliability of their entire infrastructure and hosting environment through robust DNS, monitoring and traffic controls.
This is why we do what do: to help preserve and optimize what you do. DNS, web speed, web performance and uptime matters.