The DNS Update API is also known as the Members NIC Update API and is used to update the IP addresses of dynamic DNS hostnames. Dyn designed and created the specification prior to 2001 which has become the standard update mechanism for other DNS providers. The API works over HTTPS and HTTP.
- Flow Diagram – Complete DNS update loop
- Detect IP Change – Reference to detect IP changes
- Perform Update – Reference to perform updates
- Return Codes – Reference to process return codes
- Policies – Rules clients must follow
- Guidelines & Notes – Helpful guidelines and notes
- Client Blocks – What happens when things go wrong
As this update mechanism has been integrated into numerous products, any changes to the API will be completely backwards compatible.